I was asked by Camilla if I could restore and paint a dresser she had under the house that was her Grandmas.
When picking it up from her lovely Burleigh Heads home I noticed one leg was broken and the other three where
unsteady. It was just beautiful even in its worn out state.
I researched online for some information on the Queen Anne leg. There was nothing to help with the restoration
so it was time to pass this job on to a professional. I asked if images could be taken so I could pass this knowledge
on to all of you out there.
This was the state of the legs. They had been fixed using screws which is a temporary fix.
All parts of the legs were disassembled & cleaned up. Important part of this step is to mark each piece so you
know where it belongs when reassembling.
New dowel was a must. The old dowel was removed with a drill bit and then new dowel inserted.
Pieces all cleaned up and sanded so will fit together flush before new dowel could be glued in using
Shelleys Aquadhere polyurethane which is an industrial graded glue for more strength.
Pieces all back together again, glued and in a clamps to set.
An extra piece of timber was cut and placed in the corner of each edge of the dresser for more stability.
Filled and tidied up ready for legs.
Looking lovely now all cleaned up
Legs now redowelled & joined. Once dry sanded and glue cleaned. Legs had been battered around a little so
filled and sanded to a smooth surface again.
Once legs had the side parts attached with the dowel and glued they then needed to be sanded square to
fit flush with the dresser. Once attached with glue, screws were used to complete attachment.
Looking good. Now to PAINT.
Finished pictures of this beautiful loved dresser are on my facebook page.
Follow is you like seeing super cool finds, fab makeovers & style inspiration.